(Photo: bethyb @ Flickr)
250g ready made dessert shortcrust pastry (or make own)
130g caster sugar
85g softened butter
175g ground almonds
1/2tsp vanilla paste (optional)
Use a 23cm tart tin. Serves 8.
1. Roll out pastry. When the dough is about 5cm larger than the tin, lift it up draped over the rolling pin and lay it across the tart tin. Press the dough into the corners of the tin using your fingers, don’t trim off the edges and prick with fork. Chill for 30 mins.
2. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Fill the pastry case with a round of baking paper and add baking beans to weigh it down. Bake for 15 mins, then carefully remove the paper and beans and cook the pastry for 5 more minutes.
3. For the gooseberry filling, place gooseberries in a saucepan with 30g caster sugar. Gently heat until slightly caramelized and golden brown.
4. Reduce oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Beat together the butter and remaining sugar until it is light and fluffy, about 1 min. Stir in the almonds, eggs and vanilla paste.
5. Spread the gooseberries into the pastry case, then add the frangipane mixture and smooth the top using the back of a metal spoon. Bake for 45-50 mins until the pastry is crisp and golden, and the filling is golden and feels firm to the touch.
3. Cool the tart for 10 mins in the tin, then lift onto a serving plate.