(Photo: robertdwaller @ Flickr)
500g sweet potato
125g butter, softened
200g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
250g ready made dessert shortcrust pastry (or make own)
Whipping cream (optional)
Use a 23cm tart tin. Serves 8.
1. Roll out pastry. When the dough is about 5cm larger than the tin, lift it up draped over the rolling pin and lay it across the tart tin. Press the dough into the corners of the tin using your fingers, don’t trim off the edges and prick with fork. Chill for 30 mins.
2. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Fill the pastry case with a round of baking paper and add baking beans to weigh it down. Bake for 15 mins (on lower oven shelf), then carefully remove the paper and beans and cook the pastry for 5 more minutes.
3. Chop up sweet potatoes in large chunks, then boil until tender.
4. Turn down oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Then break apart sweet potato in a bowl. Add butter, and mix well with mixer. Stir in sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Pour filling into prepared pastry base.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Pie will puff up like a souffle, and then will sink down as it cools. Serve with whipping cream.